Big City Mountaineers is a non-profit organization that transforms the lives of under-served young people from urban cities through mentoring expeditions in the wilderness that helps to develop critical life skills. BCM partners with community-based youth organizations and adult volunteer mentors who assist the youth in realizing their potential. Their course of study improves rectitude, confidence, responsibility, decision-making abilities and communication skills in close to 1,000 youth annually. BCM has seen positive results in improving young peoples’ lives with:
- Increased likeliness to stay in school
- Reduction in violence
- Reduction in drug use
In addition to adult mentors, like Jason Hanold, who dedicate a week of their lives annually to help improve the future of the youth that BCM serves, they also rely on the support of their Summit for Someone climbers. Without the dozens of courageous volunteers who sign up for Summit For Someone each year, BCM would cease to exist. The SFS climbers take on two formidable commitments: mentally and physically preparing to climb one of North America’s most challenging peaks, and raising thousands of dollars. All to help improve the lives of kids they might never meet.
To instill critical life skills in under-served urban youth through transformative wilderness mentoring expeditions.
As the nation’s leading wilderness mentoring organization, we will transform the lives of thousands of under-served urban youth each year.
BCM Core Values
- We are united by a devotion to young people and a hope for their future.
- We believe for the teens we serve, the incomparable challenge of wilderness experiences in the company of positive adult role models can begin a teen’s journey of self-discovery and promote the values of community and responsibility.
- We are united by a respect and love for the outdoors and a dedication to the preservation of the wilderness.
- We believe that self-esteem and resilience are fundamental to a teen’s health, happiness and future success.
- We believe that all teens deserve positive adult role models to teach, inspire and motivate them.
- We believe that our many blessings have been given to us as gifts to share.